©Can Stock Photo
Update 24 March 2020
information about EPSU meetings:
- EPSU GEN 5 2020 "Cancellation of upcoming EPSU meetings COVID-19"
- EPSU Gen 6 2020 "EPSU Executive Committee meeting postponed"
- EPSU Gen 7 2020 "Cancellation of EPSU meetings in April and May"
- For a statement of EPSU on the Corona virus related to workers and our public health systems
- For the EPSU Statement on the European response to COVID 19
- For our open letter to the European Council Commission on protecting health workers
- For our article on the safety and staffing challenges facing health and social services
- Unions and Civil Society Organisations’ Joint Statement calling for public health to be prioritised over profits
COVID-19 - developments at national level
COVID-19 – keeping informed
There is a number of websites that provide useful information and guidance on responses to the COVID-19 coronavirus. These include the World Health Organisation (WHO), European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and various web pages of the European Commission. Below we provide links to the most relevant sections.
Health and safety for health workers
This section of the WHO website contains resources relating to the protection of health workers and emergency responders. It includes links to key occupational safety and health recommendations in healthcare in light of the outbreak as well as specific recommendations on the responsible use of personal protective equipment and risk assessment and management for health workers. For more practical recommendations concerning the prevention of infection for healthcare staff caring for patients with suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19, see the Q&A section
Ensuring health systems are prepared
This section of the ECDC website focuses on public health emergency preparedness. It provides useful guidance on contingency planning for healthcare services as well as infection prevention and control in healthcare facilities. The ECDC also provides links to the relevant sections of national ministry websites.
The response at EU level
The website of the European Commission lays out the key response mechanisms of the EU, such as the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS), the Health Security Committee (HSC) and the HSC Communicators' network (ComNet). The focus lies on cooperation, rapid exchange of information, swift monitoring and coordination of preparedness and response measures to COVID-19, but also joint procurement of personal protective equipment.
Dealing with the economic impact
The European Commission also website focuses on the economic repercussions of this health emergency, such as the Corona Response Investment Initiative, but also specific measures aimed at transport and tourism. In a similar vein, the European Central Bank lays out the economic relief measures centred on the Pandemic Emergency Purchase Programme (PEPP) amounting to 750 billion euro.
- For PSI Campaign Safe Workers Save Lives