(18 June 2013) A recent public opinion poll asked the opinion of Greek citizens regarding the privatisation of their public services as foreseen by the government under pressure of the Troïka. Over 50% of people reject these privatizations. These range from the privatisation of ports and airports rejected by 51% to more than 64% rejecting the privatisation of water services like in Thessaloniki and Athens. The opinion poll was conducted by VPRC for the well-known and reputed news website (...)
(13 June 2013) A combination of opposing privatisation and putting forward practical alternatives is helping water campaigners mount an effective challenge to austerity in Greece. Privatisation and the nature of the state is moving to the centre of the struggle against austerity in Greece. The troika of the three key lenders to Greece – the European Commission, IMF and European Central Bank – is trying to speed up the sell-off of the country’s public goods and resources by putting them in one (...)
(4 June 2013) "The Commission cannot wash its hands in innocence in Greece. They are part of the troika that DOES impose privatisation as a condition for bailout," the European Federation of Public Services Union has struck out in response to a New Europe article on privatisation of water in Europe and Kriton Arsenis MEP’s resignation on 29 May.
Since Margaret Thatcher’s term as Prime Minister of the UK where privatisation was passed; consumers had to pay up to 50% more for their consumption (...)
(17 May 2013) Several hundred trade union and works council representatives of Germany’s water companies organized a demonstration to demand that water is taken out of the concessions directive. The German government and the EU Commission were demanded to be clear about declaring water a human right.
Representatives of other partners in support of the ECI joined as well. EPSU was represented by the Deputy General Secretary.
The demo was supported by Ver.di. It took place 14 May 2013, (...)
(16 May 2013) Nestle CEO Brabeck no longer claims that water is Not a human right following recent controversy. His position is more spun: 25 litres of water per day is a human right. This is equivalent to 1.5% of the fresh water used. It is only the other 98.5% of our available fresh water that should be open for the market. ’Business knows how it can be used most efficiently’ (= with the highest return in profits). Watch how Nestle operates in South Africa
read our previous article (26 (...)
(10 May 2013) A new success for the groups that oppose the privatisation of the Thessaloniki water company. They have brought together the necessary funding to play a role in the bidding for the Thessaloniki Water Supply & Sewerage (Eyath) company.
As part of the austerity package the EU forced upon Greece, accepted by the respective Greek governments, the government is forced to sell public assets to reduce its debt. Citizens do not agree with the privatisation of water companies if (...)
Press communication - Brussels, May 6 The first up and running European Citizens Initiative (ECI) – Water is a Human Right – has collected over 1.5 million signatures across Europe, and continues counting. 8 countries have passed the minimum number of signatures required. These countries are: Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Slovakia and Slovenia. (...)
(26 April 2013) Peter Brabeck, the boss of the multinational corporation Nestle denies that water is a human right in the documentary: We feed the world. He believes that the idea that water is a human right comes from “extremist” NGOs. For him water is a foodstuff like any other, and should have a market value. Privatisation is the best way of doing so.
EPSU Deputy General Secretary Jan Willem Goudriaan: "We disagree. Most members of the European Parliament disagree. The United Nations (...)
(26 April 2013) The Athens Water workers are organizing many activities to underline that it is bad public policy to privatise the Athens water company.
All the unions branches will be distributing leaflets and other materials at the Syntagma and Korais squares. The union underlines that water needs to remain a public good. They will also be collecting signatures for the European Citizens Initiative Water is a human right, not for sale.
For the (...)
(25 April 2013) Water privatisation is on the agenda in many European countries now austerity policies are imposed and governments are scrambling to find money.
Water privatisation is hotly contested. It was the first defeat for Thatcher as initial proposals run into very broad opposition.
International evidence of PSIRU has demonstrated the experience across the world with privatisation and concession of water services with many countries and municipalities reversing their decisions to (...)